List of Glass Blowing Classes in New Hampshire 2022 [Updated]
New Hampshire is a state in the New England region of the United States. Although it is one of the smallest states in the country, it offers some big opportunities for glass blowers and glass enthusiasts.
The state has a long and rich history as one of the original thirteen American colonies. A sizable percentage of New Hampshire residents are French-Canadian, as many people from the farmland of Quebec sought employment in New Hampshire in the 18th and 19th centuries.
New Hampshire’s economy historically consisted of textiles, shoemaking, and machining. Craft businesses continue to thrive in the state in the 21st century, and one of the top crafts is glass blowing.
New Hampshire boasts three awesome glass studios that offer beginner, intermediate, and advanced glass art classes. Whether you’re a curious tourist or an artsy local, these opportunities are great ways to learn more about glass.
- Basic Lampwork Starter Kit for beginners. 2 hours of instructional video on DVD, plus full email...
- (Requires disposable propane or Mapp Gas canister. or bulk tank propane with hose.)
- Please use saftey lenses and adequate ventilation when lampworking.
- Type: general glass art, glass blowing, lampworking, studio rentals
- Classes: small group, private, weekend, weekday, mornings, afternoons, evenings
- Price: $30-$125
- Website: https://www.hotglassartcenter.com/
- Telephone: (603)-562-8846
- Location: 99 Main Street Marlborough, NH, 03455 (50 miles west of Manchester)
The Hot Glass Art Center is an art education center dedicated to sharing glass with the community. Classes are available to anyone who is interested.
The team at The Hot Glass Art Center is passionate about glass and excited to teach new and returning students. They all have either degrees in art and glass, or ample real-world experience.
The Center’s most experienced glass artist and educator is Jordana Korsen. She has been teaching glass art since 1992 at both The Hot Glass Art Center and the Corning Museum of Glass.
Choose from glass blowing or lampworking classes at The Hot Glass Art Center. Glass blowing classes are hands-on and appropriate for beginner and intermediate glass artists.
Classes vary in price depending on the project completed. Projects include ornaments, cups, bowls, vases, and sculptural pieces.
Lampworking classes at the Center are private lessons that you schedule with an instructor. There are also private glass blowing lessons available.
Those of you who already know how to blow glass or use a torch can sign up to rent The Hot Glass Art Center’s studio space. This is perfect for anyone who does not have a home setup.
- Type: general glass art, glass blowing, lampworking
- Classes: small group, private, weekends, weekdays, multiple sessions, studio rental
- Price: $85-$500
- Website: https://terrapinglass.com/
- Telephone: (603) 593-5073
- Location: 79 Hadley Road Jaffrey, NH 03452 (~40 miles southwest of Manchester)
Terrapin Glassblowing Studio is a woman owned and operated glass studio in Jaffrey, NH. The Studio offers finished products for purchase, memorial and ceremony glass, and glass blowing and lampworking classes for beginner, intermediate, and advanced students.
Most of Terrapin’s glass blowing and lampworking classes are beginner-friendly and one hour long. Choose from a range of beautiful projects like ornaments, marbles, beads, flowers, and pendants.
Serious glass artists should consider taking Terrapin Glassblowing Studio’s “Road to Rental” classes. These offerings cover the fundamentals of hot glass art over 9 hours and prepare students for renting the studio safely. Classes are private, so students get the full attention of their instructors.
A shorter “Glass Therapy” option provides 4 glass classes over the course of a month. Learn the basics of glass working and the benefits of getting creative!
- Type: general glass art, glass blowing
- Classes: workshops, private lessons, multiple week sessions, mornings, afternoons, evenings, weekends, weekdays
- Price: $95-$495
- Website: https://www.ridabockglass.com/
- Telephone: (978) 270-5224
- Location: 65 Depot Rd East Kingston, NH 03827 (~30 miles east of Manchester)
Ridabock Glass Studio & Gallery is owned and operated by Peter Ridabock. He has extensive knowledge of glass blowing, and has worked with some of the top individuals in glass art, such as: Dale Chihuly, Richard Ritter, and Henry Halem.
Ridabock’s art is inspired by ocean currents, sea life, and other natural forms. His work has a unique sense of depth and dimension that is a feast for the eyes.
Those interested in learning glass art can take a few different workshops at Ridabock Glass Studio & Gallery. Small group workshops range from 1-3 hours long, and everyone participating makes the same object.
Projects include ornaments, wine glasses, pumpkins, vases, paperweights, and tumblers.
Beginner and intermediate students seeking a more in-depth educational experience can take Ridabock’s 5 Week session, which covers the fundamentals of glass blowing. Students learn gathering, shaping, and other essential techniques.
Finally, Peter Ridabock offers one-on-one private lessons for students of all skill levels. Students get to pick the project and Ridabock helps along the way. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn from a master.