List of Coppersmith Tools & Equipment for Beginners & Experts 2022 [Updated]
Coppersmithing is a very hands-on trade that involves the use of practical tools to complete different projects. Coppersmiths, also known as redsmiths or braziers, make a variety of items using copper or brass as the workpiece material. These items can range from practical cookware to stunning art pieces.
Coppersmiths of all skill levels use tools that facilitate the completion of coppersmithing projects. Some of these tools can have many general purposes and applications and others can be very specialized for particular coppersmithing projects.
Using the appropriate tools when working on complicated metalworking projects and make a big difference in the finished look of the product.
The following list of coppersmithing tools includes the essential tools, supplementary tools, and safety equipment that can be used for coppersmithing projects and applications.
Complete List of Coppersmithing Tools & Equipment
A workbench is an important part of the equipment needed to carry out many metalworking projects, including coppersmithing. Workbenches are often made of sturdy wood and act as a place to work, form, and design your workpiece.
- 【Work Bench with Height Adjustment】With 15 different height settings, the workbench can be...
- 【Sturdy Structure】This work bench for garage is supported by solid steel legs, which is built to...
- 【Eco-friendly & Thick Bamboo Top】The top of heavy-duty workbench is made of solid bamboo board,...
2) Bench Vise
A vise is a very important piece of equipment to have in any workshop where metalworking is involved. It provides a sturdy, hands-free grip that allows you to form and shape a metal workpiece without having to hold the workpiece yourself.
- DURABILITY: Have castings with a 30,000 PSI gray cast iron body built for rugged use and extended...
- SECURE HOLD: Capable of mounting to the bench with 4 mounting posts providing more stability and...
- 360 DEGREE SWIVEL: Base can swivel 360 degrees with double lockdown for quick and easy positioning
An anvil is an invaluable tool that has a strong, heavy body with a flat surface to place a metal workpiece and work it with another tool to shape it. There are many different anvil styles available, but it can be a multi-purpose tool with many useful features beyond a reliable work surface.
Usually coppersmiths work with a square shaped, flat surface anvil but also tend to use smaller stake anvils as supplementary tools.
- The product is 69632 ANVIL, 2 HORN #9
- The product use for power jointers
- This product manufacture by Germany
4) Leather Sandbag
A leather sandbag is a common coppersmithing tool that is often used when working with sheets of copper. The sandbag acts as an anvil that provides less resistance to force when the workpiece is worked, making it a great tool when trying to create designs on copper sheets that require the work surface to “bend” with the workpiece.
- Diameter Leather Sandbag is perfect for use with or without a bench block when working on your bench
- Great for jewelry metal stamping, chasing, engraving, forming and more
- Genuine Leather Bag has three rows of stitching for durability.
5) Metal Shears
Metal shears are essentials tools for both trimming or cutting pieces of metal with the ease of cutting paper with regular scissors. They are specifically designed to cut through metal efficiently and safely.
- ✔ S&R Aviation Snips / Tin Snips 260 mm (10.2") for Professional, Long-Term Operation
- ✔ For cutting sheet metal, metal profile, thin and thick plates: Copper 1.80 mm (.07"); Steel 1.50...
- ✔ Material of metal cutters: chrome molybdenum (Cr-Mo) steel, highly resilient and durable....
6) Jeweller’s Saw
A jeweller’s saw is another important cutting tool for pieces of metal. This is a great, adjustable tool that can be used for many metal cutting applications. This saw consists of a frame and a blade. The frame can be adjusted depending on the size of the cutting application and for ease of blade installation.
There are many blade types available to accommodate for different precision cuts and metal applications.
- Adjustable for various blade lengths
- Frame length: 8”, depth of cut: up to 3”
- Thumbscrews, black wooden handle
7) Ball Peen Hammer
The ball peen hammer is one of the most versatile tools for metalworking. Its head consists of a flat face and a peen on the other end. The handle of this hammer is built to allow for a good grip on the hammer when impacting a workpiece. The flat face allows you to flatten the workpiece while the peen can create rounded indentations on the workpiece, adding texture to the design.
- Polished face, bevel, and pein
- Head finished in rust resistant black paint
- Compression Wedge hickory handle
8) Combination Hammer
The combination hammer is a power tool that can be used to hammer metal via rotary motion or drilling motion. This tool is useful for projects that require a lot of repeated hammer and consistent force. This tool is very powerful and can save you a lot of time when trying to hammer thick copper pieces.
- 3 MODES: multi-function selector offers 3 modes of operation; Rotation-only, rotary hammer, and...
- EASE OF USE: vibration control for comfort in all day applications
- ERGONOMIC: D-handle design provides comfort and optimal control, especially for overhead or downward...
9) Raising Hammer
The raising hammer is often used to form hollow shapes from sheet metals. This hammer consists of two rectangular faces that impact the workpiece from the outside surface of the intended hollow piece and “raises” it into the desired shape.
- This hammer is superb for creating softly lined textures that are subtle and sophisticated
- Will leave the surface of your metal beautifully burnished and ready for the final polish.
- Overall length: 8.5 Inches
10) Wooden Metal-Forming Mallet
The wooden metal-forming mallet is another great tool used to shape metal workpieces. The forming mallet has a wooden head and two blunt faces that uniformly strike the workpiece, minimizing damage to its surface. Due to its wide face, it is also a great tool to drive chisels into a workpiece.
- Exceptional quality tool from Crown Hand Tools Ltd, Sheffield, England
- Weight: 20 oz
- Head Diameter: 4-1/2"
11) Bench Buffer & Buffering Wheels
Using a bench buffer and buffing wheels are great smoothing tools to create a finished look on your copper workpiece. They provide a means to apply polishing substances to a workpiece. Since copper is often used to make cookware, creating a shiny, polished finish is extremely important and can elevate the overall quality of the finished product.
- INCLUDES: 6" Bench Buffer Machine
- FUNCTION: An easy-to-use buffing station designed for a variety of buffing and polishing projects
- FEATURES: Dual end wheels for simultaneous polishing, a convenient off/on switch and extra long ball...
A scriber is a useful tool when trying to mark sports on a metal workpiece because it has a pointed end that can be abrasive on the metal. This tool is particularly used on sheets of copper when determining where to make folds and indentations.
- Stahlwille Tungsten carbide scribing iron L. 150mm
13) Scribing Compass
A compass is another great tool for scribing a workpiece. It allows you to mark circles or parts of a circle by placing one of its legs on the intended center of the circle and adjusting the angle between the two legs to specify the desired radius. This can be used as a guide for cutting circles out of the metal or create a circular design on the workpiece.
- Professional Compass With Universal Adapter, Extension Beam For Math, Geometry, Art, Drafting And...
- Precision Geometry Compass With Spring Bow Head And Center Wheel Accompanied Quick Setting...
- Mechanism Prevents Unintentional Leg Movements
Stakes are useful metalworking tools that can support the workpiece as a hammer strikes it. They are available in many different shapes and sizes. Many jewellery makers use stakes to form pieces of jewellery such as earrings and bracelets.
- These stakes are constructed of hardened steel, and polished to a mirror finish
- The variety of stakes are ideal for forming, shaping, and raising metals, especially for...
- Also includes a stake vise/holder and wooden storage stand for convenient storage and organization...
Chisels are great tools used for forming and decorative work on copper workpieces. They can be used with a hammer to shape the workpiece and add valuable texture. Chisels of different sizes and shapes are widely available to satisfy the needs for a variety of metalworking projects.
The use of chisels to form a workpiece can add more functionality to the finished product and create an appealing look.
- PREMIUM SET: This pneumatic hammer chisel kit includes a set of 5 chisels made of high quality steel...
- CHISELS INCLUDED: This 5-piece set includes the following chisels: tapered punch, flat chisel, panel...
- USE WITH: Pair these chisels with your Ingersoll Rand 114GQC Edge Series Air Hammer
16) Safety Glasses or Goggles
It is always important to wear appropriate eye protection when metalworking. Small pieces of metal can cause serious injury to the eyes if they are left unprotected.
- DUST DEFENSE: Foam gasket helps limit eye exposure to nuisance dust and other particles while...
- WRAP AROUND DESIGN provides extended eye protection and unobstructed viewing.
- ANTI-FOG LENS COATING and removable foam-lined gasket with airflow vents make this protective...
17) Safety Gloves
Leather or other heavy duty gloves can be very useful when cutting sheets of metal. Gloves can protect your hands from abrasive or sharp materials, allowing you to maneuver your workpiece with confidence.
- HIGHEST CUT PROOF CE EN 388 4544 – Hands protection from cuts and punctures when cutting meat,...
- COMFORTABLE - Ergonomic snug fit to all fingers. Second-skin feel. LIGHTWEIGHT 13-gauge cool HPPE &...
- NON-SLIP EVEN IN LIGHT OIL & UNDERWATER - Prevent pipes from slipping and minimize hand fatigue....