List of Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing Classes in Washington State 2020 [Updated]
Washington, located in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States, is known for its vibrant culture and innovation. Arts and industry are at the heart of Washington’s economy historically and in the present day. The state’s largest city, has seen periods of rise and decline economically, and these periods are diverse.
Lumber, gold, shipbuilding, aircraft, and tech have each played a major part in the economy and culture of Seattle and other cities across Washington. The state of Washington is home to many blacksmithing and metalworking workshops and large mixed media art studios.
Since artisans flock to this creative locale, there are a number of experts working and teaching metalworking crafts.
- USA MADE double forge burner furnace with 2300F capability and UPGRADED 0-30 psi regulator
- Large size (6" x 4.75" x 19") provides max workspace, ideal exposure to the flames "sweet spot"
- 1" thick ceramic fiber blanket ships with HELLCOTE 3000 Refractory Coating (applied by customer)
Blacksmithing Classes in Seattle
- Type: Blacksmithing
- Classes: Classes focusing on creating a specific finished product, public, private, and corporate
- Price: $40 for kids, $80-$240 for adults
- Website: https://lawlessforge.com/
- Telephone: 206-552-8341
- Location: 3600 Marginal Way S Seattle, WA 98134
Lawless Forge offers blacksmithing classes for people of all ages and abilities. Located in the heart of SoDo, Seattle’s industrial district, Lawless Forge provides an authentic blacksmithing experience that is tailored to your unique abilities and interests.
Team building and confidence are emphasized in this forge’s three hour long classes. Students get to choose from a variety of projects or can take a master class to learn blacksmithing techniques in-depth. The bottle opener, knife, or BBQ fork that you create goes home with you, so you’ll never forget your class at Lawless Forge!
- Type: Bladesmithing, Blacksmithing
- Classes: public, private classes available for beginner through advanced students. Classes take place over 2-3 days.
- Price: $475-$875
- Website: https://www.firehorseforge.co/
- Telephone: 206-229-6008
- Location: 1415 NW 49th St Ballard, WA 98107
Located just north of Seattle, Fire Horse Forge offers two and three day classes in bladesmithing and blacksmithing techniques. Adam, the owner, opened the forge in 1994, and uses his decades of experience to teach students beginner through advanced techniques.
Adam’s classes cover a range of topics to provide a well rounded, intensive experience. Class sizes are limited to four students or less to ensure everyone gets individualized attention. Those interested in pursuing bladesmithing or blacksmithing as a hobby, side gig, or full time career would greatly benefit from Adam’s teaching.
- Type: Blacksmithing, Welding
- Classes: Individual and group lessons
- Price: $45/hour
- Website: https://www.tinderheartmetals.com/
- Telephone: 206-261-8336
- Location: 6555 5th Ave S #106 Seattle, WA 98108
Tinder Heart Metals and Design was founded in 2011 by Alair Wells, a sculptor, blacksmith, and welder with over 20 years experience. She has a passion for teaching, and ensures that classes cover all aspects of blacksmithing and welding to provide students with a well-rounded understanding of the crafts.
Alair’s classes would be ideal for someone who wants to learn about the many tools involved in blacksmithing and welding and how to use them safely. Because of Alair’s artistic style and attention to detail, students can expect to learn how to make intricate, thoughtfully designed, and beautifully executed projects.
Blacksmithing Classes in Northwestern Washington
- Type: Blacksmithing, Bladesmithing
- Classes: Private classes arranged on an individual basis
- Price: $250 for individuals, $400 for 2-4 students
- Website: http://www.redtrollforge.com/
- Telephone: 360-921-3804
- Location: PO Box 87313 Vancouver, WA 98687
Red Troll Forge is owned and operated by Nick Marcelija, a champion of History Channel’s Forged in Fire television series. His expertise in both blacksmithing and bladesmithing make for well-rounded, intensive classes.
Students can choose from classes focused on the basics of blacksmithing, axe making, knife blade and handle making, and damascus making. If you are interested in working with a celebrated blacksmith, contact Red Troll Forge.
- Type: Blacksmithing
- Classes: Individual and group classes available
- Price: $200 for groups, $400 for individual students
- Website: https://www.thornemetals.com/#home-section
- Telephone: 360-293-8257
- Location: 13751 Daybreak Ln Anacortes, WA 98221
Thorne Metals Studio is owned by Paul Thorne, a blacksmith with decades of experience in sculptural and architectural metalworking. His classes cater to blacksmiths interested in learning the fundamentals of tool design. Both of Paul’s classes focus on the creation of one’s own tools in order to be a self-sufficient craftsperson.
Learn to make tongs, knives, and other essential tools. Class sizes are limited to six students to ensure that everyone receives individualized instruction. Paul prides himself on his teaching ability and offers students an enthusiastic, patient, and caring learning environment.
If you are intimidated by blacksmithing classes but would also like to give one a try, Thorne Metals Studios may be the perfect fit.
Blacksmithing Classes in Southern Washington
- Type: Blacksmithing
- Classes: Small group classes
- Price: $415 per class
- Website: http://www.oldwestforge.com/
- Telephone: 509-493-4418
- Location: White Salmon, WA
The Old West Forge, owned by Tim Middaugh, offers authentic, comprehensive blacksmithing classes intended to teach the fundamentals of the craft. Students who complete classes at the Old West Forge will have the skills necessary to run their own home blacksmith shop.
Tim Middaugh provides all necessary tools and each student is equipped with their own work station. Students are encouraged to be collaborative in their learning and are taught in a nurturing environment.
The classes offered at Old West Forge are ideal for serious blacksmith students who want to learn as much as they can about the trade. Classes take place over three days and last around eight hours per day.
Blacksmithing Classes in Eastern Washington
- Type: Blacksmithing, Knifemaking
- Classes: Individual and small group classes take place one, two, and three days
- Price: $150-$450
- Website: http://www.incandescent-iron.com/index.html
- Telephone: 509-998-2465
- Location: Spokane, WA
Incandescent Ironworks offers several classes for different interests and skill levels. The basics of blacksmithing, knifemaking, and more advanced steel rose making classes are available. Each class option covers all aspects of the craft, so students will be well prepared to make their own items at home after receiving the instruction.
Classes are intensive and Steve McGrew, the owner and instructor, strives to help each student learn according to their own needs and abilities. One on one instruction is emphasized through small class sizes, so if you do well working independently, these classes may be a good option.