List of Blacksmithing Classes in Georgia 2021 [Updated]
Georgia is a state in the southern United States that has relied on blacksmithing and other traditional crafts throughout its history.
As one of the original thirteen colonies, Georgia contributed economically as an agricultural center. The small towns and large plantations that dotted the territory relied on blacksmiths for farming implements, household tools, and horseshoes.
Blacksmithing remained a vital profession as Georgia’s economy saw massive changes in the 19th century with the Civil War and Reconstruction era in the aftermath of the war.
Today, blacksmiths across the state continue to practice the craft in both its traditional form and as contemporary art. Below are workshops offering classes appropriate for a wide range of skill levels and interests.
- Hoffman, Liam (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 162 Pages - 08/25/2017 (Publication Date) - CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Publisher)
- Type: Blacksmithing, Bladesmithing, Knife Grinding
- Classes: Small group, full day classes, private classes
- Price: $110-$1,000
- Website: https://www.goatnhammer.com/
- Telephone: N/A
- Location: 1200 Foster Street B8 LMR-10 Atlanta, GA 30318
Goat n Hammer has been offering metalworking classes in Atlanta since 2013.
There are a range of blacksmithing, bladesmithing, and knife grinding classes available, so if you are looking for variety, this location might be a great fit for you. Classes are formatted by project made, and include bottle openers, various types of knives, campfire tripods, and more.
Group and individual classes are available, with a range of prices for every budget. Many of the classes are beginner friendly with no experience necessary, so prepare to learn all the basic techniques to be comfortable in the workshop!
- Type: Blacksmithing, Welding
- Classes: Evening, 2 hour long classes
- Price: $197-$297
- Website: https://corrinasephora.com/
- Telephone: 470-240-149
- Location: 1200 Foster St. Atlanta, GA 30318
Corrina Sephora is a mixed media artist offering classes in Atlanta. She earned her Master of Fine Arts degree in 2005 and since then has completed several residencies to continue her education. Sephora’s work has won several awards and is featured in museums and historical sites around Georgia.
Her classes include beginner welding and forging. She teaches the basic skills and techniques needed to create a phone holder or fire poker.
Sephora’s classes are held in the evenings for around 2 hours, which means even the busiest enthusiasts can take a class! If you want to learn forging or welding in a short amount of time for an affordable price, Corrina Sephora’s classes would be great for you.
- Type: Blacksmithing
- Classes: Workshops, open forge times, demonstrations
- Price: $20-$40
- Website: https://www.historicwashingtonga.com/learn-a-historic-craft-skill.html
- Telephone: 706-678-7060
- Location: 2160 Lexington Rd. Washington GA 30673
Callaway Forge Club is part of the Callaway Plantation, and offers workshops, demonstrations, and membership programs for blacksmiths. This is a great way to meet fellow smiths and work within a historic setting.
All materials are provided, and workshops can be rented by Forge Club members, so this is an amazing opportunity for blacksmiths who do not have their own home forge. Workshops are offered in the fall and spring. Payment is flexible and affordable.
- Type: Blacksmithing, Horseshoeing
- Classes: 2 day, multiple week classes, full time or part time
- Price: $250-$10,800
- Website: http://www.caseyhorseshoeingschool.com/
- Telephone: 706-397-8909
- Location: 14013 East Hwy #136 LaFayette, Georgia 30728
Casey & Son Horseshoeing School teaches blacksmithing specific to the role of a farrier and the techniques needed to fit and shoe horses. This option is obviously unique and highly specialized, but is one of the best schools in the nation for horseshoeing.
The school offers instruction in blacksmithing, corrective shoeing and more and all classes are taught on live horses. If becoming a farrier is something you have been considering, this location is a great option!
Classes are flexible, with full time and part time and pay-as-you-go tuition options available.